WEEK TWENTY-SIX - Week of August 18 - Meeting the cousins..and hoping our Shingles weren't contagious


[Hannibal Regional Hospital GL]
Aug 16
I continue in my sloth-like path. While I had a few weeks with bursts of energy, most of the time I'm quite content with my nap. Naturally Bob Cat encourages this behavior. My question is, if a pillow propped between your legs is good for a PG woman, does the same hold true to a sympathetic cat?

Aug 19
Once nice perk to my travel schedule is the ability to meet up with friends and family along the way. It's been 3-4 years since I had the chance to see my Missouri cousins, and it was so great of them to drive over one night to meet me.

Aug 20
I woke up to a really wierd "bump" on the back of my neck. I couldn't see it, but when I reached around to feel it, it appeared that the skin was inflamed. As the day progressed, I noticed it started to itch. I finally had one of the providers look at it......diagnosis? SHINGLES! I didn't even know what Shingles was until that moment in time. Apparently when your body undergoes stress [umm, can you say car accident two weeks earlier?] and you've had chicken pox in the past, those dormant cells can awaken, triggering an episode of Shingles. The providers there were great and called in a PG-safe Rx for me to get started on ASAP. If you get Shingles under 26 weeks of PG, you're at a MUCH higher risk of m/c. Looks like I made it right under the wire! Whew!

Unfortuantely the collar of my shirt continued to irritate the breakout, so by the time I landed back home and began my 30 minute drive home, I couldn't take it any more! I whipped my shirt off and drove home in my bra, big belly sticking out an everything. It was such a relief to have that collar off my neck, but I made sure NOT to get in an accident or get pulled over. That's the last thing I needed to try and explain!

Aug 22
I had my OB appointment, which was short and sweet. I showed her the Shingles, but she didn't seem to concerned. I ended up with a VERY mild case of it, for which I am so grateful! It's been a wild two weeks, and I'm glad it didn't get any wilder! I'm up seven pounds in the pregnancy. That's below the average, which totally shocks me, but the doc is not worried, so I guess I won't be either!

I have noticed I've become addicted to gummy worms and corn nuts lately. That's probably not the healthiest meal combo! Man I'm constantly jonesing for some, but I've already had them for supper twice this week so I'd better try and cut back!