WEEK TWENTY-FOUR - Week of Aug 4 - Baby Girl's first shower...and ambulance ride


[Knightdale RedE customization, Boston trip]
Aug 4
What better way to start the week but than to get a massage. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! The plan is to start our drive up to Boston on Tuesday night and finish it on Wednesday afternoon. I'm going to try and get my work done before and during the drive so that once we get up there, I can enjoy spending time catching up with my friends. My computer decided to completely DIE this weekend though, which set me back quite a bit on getting my work done.

Aug 5
We finally headed out, and we made pretty good time. We stopped for the night in Aberdeen, MD, and we'll leave again in the morning so that we can avoid the Philly, NYC, NJ traffic and hopefully get to MILs before 5pm.

Aug 6
Well that didn't turn out well! The good news is Baby girl is progressing well. The bad news is I know this from the ER ultrasound.

We pulled over about 11 last night and then started off at 8am this morning. At 9:45, DH was begging for me to stop and find a restroom. We were about an hour north of Philly when I pulled off and found a Burger King. We were heading back to the interstate and as I was coming up on a green light intersection, I saw a car starting to pull in my lane [she was coming from the other direction and was in a turn lane, but not a green arrow turn lane]. I remember thinking, "ok, let me think, how can I avoid this"? I swerved to the right lane [without even checking for a car, luckily there wasn't one there] and tried to speed up to avoid her, but she just kept coming. Then I thought, "Crap, I'm not going to avoid this" CRASH, POP! The airbags broke the windshield, and the force knocked us further into the other lane, and I was slamming on the brakes, but the van kept skidding....towards a power pole. I was cranking the wheel and slamming the brakes, and was SO lucky that we stopped right before the pole. Then my next thought was, "Damn, why'd this have to happen in a rental?!?!" We both sat stunned for a few minutes. There were lots of cars trying to get by us, so I crawled out of the passenger side. I never saw the front of the van, but DH said it wasn't too bad. Just the driver's wheel well. Her car was very banged up. She was still in the middle of the intersection, so I walked up the sidewalk to see if she was OK. She gave me a thumbs up as she was getting out of her car. I know she had a hard time getting out, but I don't remember seeing exactly what the car looked like. [kinda still stunned at that point] I went and sat back down by the van to wait for the cops to arrive. From the moment of impact, the thing that hurt the most was my right forearm from where the airbag whacked it. Since I was preparing for impact, my body was very rigid, and I was gripping hard to the steering wheel, so it whacked me pretty good. I also hurt where the shoulder seat belt tightened up. All in all, that was the biggest extent of our physical "damages". Both of us have stiff necks, and I have an amazing headache, but that's about it. They listened for Baby Girl on doppler first, and just when the nurse would lock in on the heartbeat, she'd swim away! hahaha! She was doing very well on the u/s. Heartbeat is normal, and she's measuring right where I think she should be [I have EDD of Nov 30 based on O date, but Doc has it as Dec 2 from LMP date] After leaving the hospital, we took a cab an hour back to Philly to get a new mini van. The people at Hertz were amazing. They even upgraded us with Neverlost! I hope they don't get too mad when they realize we left the van somewhere in PA and the middle row seats for it are in our garage in NC. hahahahha!

Anyway, at 5pm, we were right back to where we were at 10am this morning. We unfortunately got stuck in traffic in all of the towns we were trying to avoid it in. I have to say I'm still so grateful that it wasn't worse than it was! I'm glad I was driving, I'm glad we had seatbelts on. I'm glad it happened in the morning. I'm glad it happened on the drive up and not the drive home. I'm glad we were in a massive mini-van. I'm glad I wasn't further along in the PG. I'm glad we opted NOT to bring the kids [can you imagine two cats in the ER following an MVA] I'm glad it only happened at 40mph and not 80mph. Man, for accidents, I have to say this one was well done.

Aug 7
I drove down and stopped by the VNA to see everyone before meeting up with Jeanne and Karen for supper. It was SO AWESOME seeing them again! I miss their humor and their intellgience and their support. It's great to hear they're both doing well though!

Aug 9
Can I just say I have been SO BLESSED to have the most amazing friends.....and the most amazing BFF!!!! My friend threw me a shower and invited all of my buddies from the Nest. I was blown away by how generous everyone was!! Some of the gals that showed up, I had never met before in my life! I was showered with so many awesome presents, and it was so great to catch up with everyone again.
I did not expect such an outpouring of friendship, and I am so absolutely grateful to each of them!!!!