Day 1: Nov 26 - BIRTH DAY!!!!

Looks like I don't have to bother with the 40 week ticker....SHE ARRIVED EARLY!!

On Wednesday morning, I woke up from pain at 5am and didn't realize it was pre-labor. I had been in pain "down there" since the night before, but I never thought it was the beginnings of labor. I tried to stick it out at home as long as possible or until my 11am weekly OB appointment [where ironically they were going to do my first pelvic exam to check for progress]. I made it to 10am before the pain started to get more intense. I had mentioned perhaps going for just one lap around the block before leaving, but since DH has revoked all of my personal medical decision making privileges due to last year's nearly bleeding to death incident, he said no and told me to get in the car. The contractions got closer together on the drive in, and I started to realize that it was actually show time.

When we got to the OB's office and they did their labor check, I expected to hear 1-2cm and was FLOORED to hear 5cm. We went straight over to the hospital [where we met Mom who had just driven six hours that morning to be there]. As soon as I got to my room, I got some Stadol and an epidural and then slept for a few hours and woke up to 9.5cm. HEAVENLY!

I pushed for three hours in various positions but her head was not facing the right way and they couldn't get it turned. I never knew the OB could shove both of her arms, up to her elbows, into LadyLand and do so much manipulating!

The epi [and Stadol] wore off just during the crucial time of labor. With her head not turning, but the contractions coming faster and stronger [and the OB shoving her arms up there with more frequency as well], I was offered either forceps or a c-section. I was COMPLETELY unable to make any decisions at that point as I was kinda rather hoping for a quick death instead to end the pain. DH decided forceps. I thought I wanted to die before.....oh my effing GAWD! 25 minutes of the worst pain ever known to humankind!! I asked them to just yank her out at one point! They kept telling me I was close and that I could do it. I yelled louder than all three of them combined that in fact I was NOT capable of getting it done! Apparently they won that battle and Baby Girl arrived at 8:41pm. She was 8lb4oz and 21 inches. It took pulling strongly through three contractions with the forceps to actually extricate her, and trust me, I felt it all!!!

Despite all the pain she caused, she's pretty darn cute, and I think we're going to keep her. I don't see any resemblance to anyone just yet and I did not expect the blonde hair.

I didn't get to spend very much time with her when she came out because her breathing was labored. They put her on me for about five seconds all bloody and icky [which surprisingly I didn't mind. I think I was just more relieved that the pain was over than anything] They then whisked her over to clean her and check her breathing. Her Apgar scores were 6 and then 9. After checking her out, she was given to Daddy to hold. After Daddy came Grandma time. I sat helplessly on my bed waiting to deliver my placenta and then get sewn up [second degree tear]. It was kinda frustrating to not be able to hold her very much that first hour. Hopefully she won't need too much therapy later in life because of it!