Day 25: Dec 20 - What you'll resort to as a mother

Katie didn't seem too settled the last two days, and we figured it's probably because she was stir crazy from being home all day. Grandma and I decided we'd give in to her and take her shopping today. Somehow we always manage to go out and about on days that it's raining too! We put her in one of her pink outfits, but what cracked me up the most were the feet of the outfit. They're little ballet shoes! Too freakin' adorable!

Our shopping excursion was interrupted by intermittent breaks to stop and eat. The first one was in Starbucks. It was a great opportunity to use the Hooter Hider again. After eating, I took Katie into the bathroom for a diaper change. That was quite the ordeal. They didn't have a changing station, so I had to set her mat on the floor and do it there. I undid the diaper only to discover she had left me quite the present. I quickly grabbed the diaper wipes, only to realize I hadn't used this diaper bag yet and they were still shrink wrapped. Once I got them open and Katie cleaned off, I grabbed the diaper cream. Unfortunately that was still wrapped up too. I am so glad no one else tried to come in while we were attempting all of this and Katie was so patient with me as I fumbled around.

We finished up shopping at Crossroads and headed over to the Apex shopping area. Katie was kinda over looking at Linen and Things clearance sale items and decided she was hungry NOW! I took her across the street to Panera, and since she was already crying of starvation, I tried to find a booth out of the way as soon as possible. Unfortunate for the people next to me, I found one, but it was near a young guy and girl. I don't think they were huge fans of breastfeeding in public, but I'm sure they were relieved when I finally stopped the screaming and crying!

Our final breastfeeding session of the day was back in another Starbucks, this time inside Target. As we were leaving, one of the gals came up and told me I had the cutest baby ever! Aww, glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks so! We went back to finish up our Target shopping, but apparently Katie had had enough. She had a complete melt down in the baby aisles, and because I couldn't soothe her, I had a melt down too. When I couldn't think of any other tricks to try, I passed her off to Grandma, and she calmed down instantly. I keep trying to learn what's successful in soothing her, and what Grandma and I have discovered is that sometimes she just wants someone else's arms. That's fine if we're home, but do you think I'll be able to walk up to a stranger in public in the future and ask them to hold my screaming baby? LOL! Once we got her soothed, I found it was time to change her diaper again. Instead of fighting to get her to the front of the store to do it in the bathroom, I just pulled out her changing mat and took care of her in the shopping cart. Hey, desperate times call for desperate measures!