Day 3: Nov 28 - Homecoming day!

Last night did NOT go as well as the night before did!! I had Daddy stay at the hospital this time, and it's a good thing I did! When the nurse came in to check on us at 4 in the morning, and I'm sitting on the toilet sobbing and Daddy's trying to soothe Katie without much luck, she kindly offered to take Katie to the nursery to offer us some relief. I was still only producing colostrum, and Katie was ready for more "real" food, so they took her away to feed her so that Daddy and I could get some sleep.

When we woke up four hours later, it felt like we had just slept for 10 hours! It's amazing how your sleep priorities change when you have a baby! We were both beside ourselves missing our little girl too. We asked the nurse to bring her back, but then we grew too impatient waiting, so we went down to the nursery and got her ourselves. Doting parents already!

Today was discharge day, but Katie started getting more and more yellow, so they wanted to run tests to check her billi levels. Unfortunately, they came back higher than the doctor had wanted, so they decided to send us home with a billi blanket for her. The only problem is that with it being the day after Thanksgiving, and a lot of deliveries recently, the blankets were scarce. We had to wait around for a few hours for them to locate one and deliver it to us.

During our wait, the hospital's photographer stopped in. Unfortunately she came just as it was "lunch time" for Katie. She managed to get a few shots on a non-crying baby in, but it wasn't easy.

Around 2pm, we were finally cleared to go home. Packer naturally came to greet us as we arrived, and she made sure to give Katie a good sniffing. Bob naturally was still flopped out napping, and he was not as excited at Katie's arrival as the rest of us were.

Grandma got the honors of changing the first home diaper. I think she felt sorry for David and I who took about 10 minutes to change a diaper, and she knew Katie was sick of dealing with such amateurs.

I broke down and decided to have her sleep in our room for the first few weeks, despite originally being adamantly against that. I sense this is the first of many times where I will have to recant my wishes when faced with the real life scenario. We set up the bassinett and video monitor on my side of the bed, and despite having her inches away and available to be constantly monitored, I did NOT sleep well. Katie likes to make lots of squeaking noises when she sleeps, and for a new mother on her first night home, that is NOT a good combination. Every time she'd make a peep, I'd have to hop up and check on her.