Day 336: October 27 - Transition fail....again

I got an email from Daddy this morning with the subject line, "How is muffin this morning?" Awww, does he love his baby girl or what!!

Today was picture day, and after the debacle of last time's school pictures, I wanted to do better this time around. I probably spent way too much energy stressing about the right outfit, but hey, she's a firstborn child! I had it narrowed down to three outfits, and this morning I decided to go with the jeans and pink top. I wanted her to look cute, but not like she spent all day obsessing about her looks, thus the choice of casual jeans. Unfortunately, when we got to school, I realized that the pink shirt completely washed out her complexion. Sigh! Maybe next time! I got messages throughout the day from my friends wanting to know how picture day went. We won't know for a few weeks when the proofs come back.

When I went to pick Katie up from school, she fell asleep in the car, as she sometimes does, so I stopped by KFC and got some takeout. When I got home, I felt bad about waking her up, so I let her sleep while I sat in the car in the garage with her eating my meal. It seemed like a good idea at the time. What I could not predict is that the short nap she got would cause her to stay up for HOURS past her bedtime!

I tried giving her her bedtime snack around 8pm, like I always do, and she was fine with that, but then she wanted to sit up and play. I tried to get her to lay down, and she was having none of it. I thought, OK, well we'll work some more on the transition to the crib, so I'll put her in her crib and let her play there. Oh no, no, no, no! She started crying with tints of screaming in there. OK, not working. Let's head back to the bedroom and try again. We got back on the big bed and watched some TV, and she calmed back down, so I tried the crib again. Oh NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! I then started thinking, OK my friends have talked about CIO [cry it out] where you walk away and let your child have this cryfest and eventually they learn to soothe themselves to sleep.

I took the video monitor with me and went to take a shower. She screamed the ENTIRE time! After I got dried off, I went back and got her again. I thought maybe getting a top off snack might calm her down and let her fall right to sleep. She took a few sips and then rolled over and perked up like she wanted to play some more. GAH!!!! Two and a half hours after her normal bedtime, she finally fell asleep in my arms on the bed. I didn't dare jostle her by taking her back to her crib, so alas, she spent another night snuggling in the big bed with me. Maybe we'll work on that transitioning tomorrow....

On a more positive note, I got Katie's first birthday invitations done. They turned out AWESOME!! Can't wait to show you the rest of the party ideas I have planned!


























No comments: