Day 349: November 9 - Sampling new foods

Katie was kind of grumpy as I picked her up from school today. Miss Seyeda said she didn't get a good nap in the afternoon, so she thought maybe Katie would sleep well tonight.

When we got home, we did some exploration at suppertime. I'm trying to get Katie to eat more solid foods that she feeds herself. I'm learning that she's not a fan of feeding herself bananas, because they feel too mushy on her fingers. She will eat butternut squash though, since it's a harder consistency. We started with peas and carrots. After gagging a few times, and nearly choking on a pea hull, we scrapped that and went to cut up pears. She was OK with the pears, but embraced them much more once they were warmed up. She went crazy for the butternut squash, and also when Daddy gave her bits of a saltine cracker. She also ate an entire slice of cheese, which is a first for her! I gave her some yogurt juice to quench her palate, and while I like seeing her suck it down, I wish when she was done that she'd just hand it back and say, "Why thank you Mother, that was delicious, however, I am satisfied at this time." Umm, no, instead she choose to slam it on the ground, usually before I can reach out and catch it.

For desert, I gave her some yogurt covered raisins. We tried one or two the night before, and it seemed to go OK. The shell seemed rather hard, so I mashed it down before putting it on her tray. She quickly gobbled 5-6 of them before I decided that was enough sugar for one night. I picked her up out of her highchair and took her over by the sink to see Daddy. Next thing I know, she kind of gags and then spits out two raisins, followed by three more. Yup, she managed to eat the sweet yogurt coating of the raisins, but she held the raisins themselves in her mouth for a minute or two before spitting them all out. Note to self: not ready for yogurt covered raisins at this time.

We wrapped up our day by once again pelting Daddy with balls while he tried to rest on the couch. So.much.FUN!










No comments: